As the Head of the PMO you will be responsible for driving a successful and flawless programme and portfolio delivery across Gala Coral Interactive. As a critical member of the leadership team, with the level of influence and experience needed to support major organisational change.
Reporting to the Finance Director you are expected to design, manage and direct the delivery of the IT strategy, ensuring a customer-centric, agile and responsive service through effective engagement and communications with business sponsors and owners, delivery teams, 3rd party suppliers/ vendors and other key stakeholders. Full project delivery lifecycle skills are of course crucial but it is the ability to go beyond delivery and manage the consequences of change which will see this role deliver real commercial value.
This role will ensure the PMO delivers a ‘gold standard’ of project and programme delivery throughout GCI, driving pragmatic best practice delivery disciplines, proactive risk, issue and dependency management, as well as critical project, programme and portfolio MI to key decision-makers. Further, this role will ensure a consistent commitment to continuous improvement in all aspects of IT and Change delivery ensuring the organisation holds, or has access to, the right resources to deliver upon the present and future portfolio commitments.
- Facilitation of the development of GCI’s IT vision and support in the determination of each project, programme and initiative’s unique contribution to this
- Support in the regular prioritisation of the portfolio to ensure it remains aligned to strategic objectives
- Lead the entire GCI IT integrated portfolio plan and benefits realisation, driving the resolution of key risks and issues
- Deliver high quality, transparent reporting and metrics on project and programme performance across the entire investment portfolio enabling intervention to remove obstacles, make priority calls, and deliver target outcomes
- Manage the project approval process at each stage gate; from initiation to closure
- Responsible for the allocation of resources to projects and programmes, including resource planning for permanent and contingent project resource deployed across all of GCI’s strategic initiatives to maximise resource utilisation, prioritise activities and balance conflicting demands within budgetary constraints
- Accountable for maintaining appropriate PMO governance and controls (processes, standards, tools and templates) including, but not limited to: estimation, scope, risk and issue management, financial management/ benefits realisation and progress reporting
- Lead and performance manage a team of PMO professionals and build a sustainable and high performing Portfolio and PMO function using internal and external benchmarks as industry Key Performance indicators and providing assurance of all of the PMO project and programme delivery; ensuring a relentless focus on quality, execution and achievement
- Manage the IT portfolio budget, including putting together complex business cases/ capex proposals to support investment decision-making
- In co-ordination with finance, retain responsibility for controlling costs, including the accurate and timely tracking of the portfolio’s expenditure against agreed budgets
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Demonstrable authority and responsibility for effectively and efficiently managing complex change portfolios with budgets in excess of £10m
- Demonstrable strong performance in prior project management delivery roles, with increasing levels of responsibility and independence; ability to lead complex operational and strategic initiatives with budgetary responsibility in excess of £5m
- Experience of managing the portfolio pipeline, ensuring resources are deployed across projects and programmes within a highly changeable business where active prioritisation is required at all times
- Experience in balancing & managing multiple internal ‘customers’ at a senior level (credible and influential at Executive level) in the development and execution of complex projects and programmes
- Experience in transcending organisational politics to facilitate in the balancing of executive priorities against defined criteria
- Competence in motivating and managing internal and external resources at all levels in a matrixed, multidisciplinary, globally-dispersed environment
- Substantial experience of working within both Agile & Waterfall project management methodologies and associated tools and techniques such as: MoP, MoR, MSP, PRINCE2, PMP, Agile, Scrum or Kanban
- Detail focused but able to see the “big picture” and maintain progress
- High levels of resilience and tenacity; able to manage emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations.
- Experience of planning to a minimum 2 year time horizon
- Excellent communicator- able to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Experience in building and maintaining effective working relationships third party suppliers
- Proficient user of video and telephone conferencing technologies
- Proficient with Project Management tools such as JIRA, Confluence, MS Project, MS Excel
- Experience managing IT Projects spanning across multiple environments within the platform, to include: Networking, Linux, Windows and Virtualisation
- Online experience essential, ideally gained within the online gaming industry providing the ability to provide content advice and support as well as generic discipline support
- Experience of Data Centre migrations, technology re-platforming or technology upgrade projects
- Familiarity of one of more of the following is beneficial: Checkpoint Firewalls, Cisco Nexus, Juniper SSL-VPN and Cisco Wireless
- Significant experience of release management and the software development lifecycle
- Be able to produce presentational documents to a high standard using Microsoft packages such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint
- Strong oral and written communication skills which delivers messages clearly and confidently at all levels
- A team player who shows respect and values the views of others and coaches others to build on strengths and improve on weakness, gives and listens to regular, honest feedback.
- Highly collaborative- challenges systems, processes and people that block collaboration, connects people, ideas, processes and issues